Energy companies must have a professional sign off on all oil and gas remediation and reclamation work on oil and gas sites in order to qualify to receive a reclamation certificate. This verification helps ensure that this work meets our reclamation standards and that companies are not providing misleading or false information on their reclamation certificate applications.
Obtaining professional sign-off is a required step in the reclamation process for oil and gas sites before applying for a reclamation certificate.
How to Obtain Professional Sign-Off
A member from one of seven professional organizations (see below) must be involved in and sign off on remediation and reclamation work on upstream oil and gas sites.
Companies must use our Professional Declaration for Reclamation Certificate Application form to complete this sign-off after the following have been completed:
- phase 1 environmental site assessment
- compliance option checklists for drilling waste disposal
- phase 2 environmental site assessment
- remediation and confirmatory sampling
- detailed site assessments
For more information, see our Reclamation Certificate Application Submissions page.
Approved Professionals and Organizations
To sign off on remediation and reclamation work, the professional or their employer must carry professional liability insurance. They must also be a member in good standing of one of the following professional organizations:
- Alberta Institute of Agrologists
- Alberta Society of Professional Biologists
- Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta
- Association of Science and Engineering Technology Professionals of Alberta
- Association of the Chemical Profession of Alberta
- College of Alberta Professional Foresters
- College of Alberta Professional Forest Technologists