Our estimated processing time for this application is 65 business days. See our timeline spreadsheet for updates.
Purpose of the Application
The base maximum rate limitation (MRL) is the maximum rate of production for an oil pool when production is not reduced by gas-oil ratio or off-target penalties. When the pool’s production capacity is much higher than the assessed MRL, we may approve a fixed-term special MRL.
A special MRL, which is higher than the base MRL, allows a company to gather enough performance data to make an informed decision on its optimal exploitation strategy. We grant special MRLs for production from an oil pool when the produced gas is conserved in accordance with Directive 060: Upstream Petroleum Industry Flaring, Incinerating, and Venting.
Before applying, a company’s producing intervals in the oil pool must already have been on stream. The company must have a clear idea of the pool’s production performance capability.
We require each company to complete an application under Directive 065: Resources Applications for Oil and Gas Reservoirs in accordance with section 10.060 of the Oil and Gas Conservation Rules.
Submit an Application
Companies must submit their applications through our Digital Data Submission (DDS) system. We will register each application and assign it a reference number.
By submitting an application, the company accepts that its information is no longer confidential.
- We share all applications on our Public Notice of Application page to encourage public participation in the approval process.
- Anyone who believes that they may be directly and adversely affected by an application can file a statement of concern (SOC). If we receive an SOC, it may take us longer to process the application.
- We will assign the application to a subject matter expert for initial review. If information is missing (i.e., the application is not complete and requirements under Directive 065 are missing), we will close the application. Otherwise, we will proceed with a full technical review. We look at the following:
- notifications, to ensure they are in accordance with our Directive 065 guidelines
- pool’s expansion potential and the existence of an associated gas accumulation (if applicable)
- applicant’s reservoir fluid volumetric estimates compared with our estimates
- applicant’s assessment of the reservoir pressure depletion trend
- effect of reservoir energy depletion on the production performance trend
- list of active producers in the pool and their completion details
- We may request additional information (through a supplemental information request) to complete our technical review.
- We will decide to approve, close, or deny the application. If we close it, the applicant may reapply without prejudice. If we deny it, the applicant can file an appeal through our appeal process.
- We will provide the applicant with a link to the letter with our decision, which is accessible through the Integrated Application Registry. We will also share our decision on our Publication of Decision page.