Our estimated processing time for this application is 30 business days. See our timeline spreadsheet for updates.
Purpose of the Application
Companies must apply for our approval before starting the following pilot projects:
- new waste management processes or technologies (not currently in Directive 058: Oilfield Waste Management Requirements for the Upstream Petroleum Industry)
- existing waste management processes or technologies with a unique waste stream
Our requirements for pilot project approval applications are listed in Directive 058: Oilfield Waste Management Requirements for the Upstream Petroleum Industry.
Submit an Application
Companies must submit their applications through our Digital Data Submission (DDS) system. We will register each application and assign a reference number.
By submitting an application, the company accepts that its information is no longer confidential.
Things to Remember
After our approval, a company may want to permanently use its pilot process or technology after we have approved it. In this case, the company will need to submit another application (for amendment) before the pilot project approval expires.
- We share all applications on our Public Notice of Application page to encourage public participation in the approval process.
- Anyone who believes they may be directly and adversely affected by an application can file a statement of concern (SOC). If we receive an SOC, it may take us longer to process the application.
- We will assign the application to a subject matter expert for initial review. If information is missing (i.e., the application is not complete), we will close the application. Otherwise, we will proceed with a full technical review. We look at
- the location of the applied-for well or facility site. If it falls within an area covered by the Lower Athabasca Regional Plan or the South Saskatchewan Regional Plan, our review will be more stringent;
- the techniques used to manage oilfield waste and their residuals; and
- the types of storage devices that will be used.
- We may request additional information (through a supplemental information request) to complete our technical review.
- We will decide to approve, close, or deny the application. If we close it, the applicant may reapply without prejudice. If we deny it, the applicant can file an appeal through our appeal process.
- We will provide the applicant with a link to the letter with our decision, which is accessible through the Integrated Application Registry. We will also share our decision on our Publication of Decision page.